Saturday, July 19, 2014

Dark Souls 2 update

So let's just start off by saying that I got my new laptop over a week and a half ago and so far it's working great. Still gotta do some fine tuning on recording stuff (specifically audio recording and the whole editing process at the moment isn't optimal due to a different internal mic, a lack of any real audio/sound modifying program outside of the default control panel ones, and me needing to figure out the newer movie maker version because files aren't loading into it as quickly as they should be). When it comes to DS2, even though I backed up my steam files from my old PC and transferred those to my new one for some reason that didn't transfer my save files. So basically I had to replay like 5 hours of the game to get back to where I was. Also I should mention that unlike my old laptop, this new one has a much quieter fan, and seems to have a much better cooling system overall so it doesn't overheat on me without my standalone fan that I've been using for recordings since over 2 years ago.

Now for actual Dark Souls 2 stuff, I've decided with the new pc to basically start an additional 2 character builds along with the main melee build I'm using for recordings. I'm running a sorcery build on one of my characters, and a faith build on the other. Neither of these characters is really that far into the game (my sorcerer is 1 optional boss ahead of where my last recording session left off, and my faith build is barely an hour into the game). After playing around with them for a bit, I kinda wish I'd just done a faith build for my recordings because I basically defaulted to maces anyways, and also starting with that mace really makes the game incredibly easy early on in comparison to starting with that terrible axe on the bandit class. One thing I've found with both sorcery and faith builds is that the large leather shield is by far the best shield for those classes due to the low requirements and that 90% physical block, which by far trumps all other shields in the early game with the same stat requirements. I still think I probably rely way too much on shields for my sorcery class though because I find myself wielding it at all times on that character and often using it to use my hold right and strafe around enemies strat to avoid hits and get an opening for casting. I'm kinda trying to break that habit though by forcing myself into two handing the mace on my faith build  until after the Last Giant, just so I get more confident in my rolls.

As for Zelda, I'm hoping it's only 3 sessions from the end, maybe 4 sessions depending on how long the side adventuring takes. I'll be hopefully recording more of it on Monday and finishing the Wind Temple as well as starting on the sidequest chain. With a bit of luck I should have the game done by mid August, at which point I'll probably move on to other stuff, possibly Shovel Knight or something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment