Thursday, September 22, 2011

Deus Ex parts 22-23 uploading now, FF4 to be rendered/uploaded tomorrow

Alright firs off I just noticed that when you select a language for your blog the choices are English - UK and English - English....

I wish I was joking.

But yea there will be 3 parts of FF4 going up tomorrow since they are much smaller files than the Deus Ex and Minecraft stuff (usually between 100-200MB). Once all that is up the plan is to upload all the spare Minecraft stuff from last week (7-8 parts worth to be exact, plus about an hour long movie). The hour long movie was something I wanted to do more as an exercise to try and get stuff done more quickly in Minecraft, plus to try and make the commentary more interesting since when I'm rushing I tend to do a lot more potentially stupid shit. I think that asides from the fact that it somewhat backfired on the me getting stuff done part because of how long it took me to find a village, it did actually make for slightly more exciting commentary compared to my normal somewhat monotone commentary. That, and no longer having the F3 safety measure really makes the game a lot scarier since now you don't know what's around the corner.

I'd really like to start recording a scary game actually but I really don't have the right kind of environment to do that as far as time of day goes since I seriously doubt people would appreciate me doing commentary late at night, which is why I typically do it in the afternoons when no one's really around. The only issue is it won't really be a blind playthrough since I have seen a few commentators play the game I'm thinking of so I kind of remember most of the puzzles and where most of the scares are, but the game still does a really good job from what I've played of setting up the atmosphere, which is really what I think can scare people the most. This is pretty much because if a game is good then most people tend to get really into the game and almost become a part of the story and feel like they are the character, which is something that is vital to any good horror game. If you don't feel as if you are in the characters situation then it's much harder to get scared from it.

It's kind of the problem I had with Dead Space since the entire game is basically just jump scares over and over again, but it really didn't have much buildup for them. That, and you can easily dismember them and win. The game I'm planning to play really gives you no way to fight back so it's much more intense and really delivers what you want in a good horror game (and this is only after about 2 hours of playing it myself). I would have played more but I really want to record it so I'm waiting for the opportune time to set it up and record a few hours of it in one sitting, though it's gonna be hard to really find a great time to do this since I don't want anyone walking in halfway through recording since it would really kill the mood.

By the way, the game is Amnesia: The Dark Descent if you haven't guessed already, but it really should be painfully obvious after that, plus the fact that it's the only scary game on my steam list.

No comments:

Post a Comment