Saturday, December 17, 2011

Update on a lot of stuff.

I haven't had time to record anything for the last few weeks. This is mostly because I'm stupid and have been sleeping in till 4pm for the last 5 days which basically fucked over my chances to record. As a result I've been slowly putting up stuff over the last few days but the pace I will admit is pitiful. I want to record a lot more Killing Floor and Chrono Trigger, and will probably put Minecraft on hold until the new year, where I can decide what I want to do for the new series. If I can get a server set up I'm hoping to possibly do one with me and SickTrick.

Anyways Amnesia is basically on hold since I don't feel like playing it, same with Deus Ex since that game pissed me off quite a bit with that glitched quest and that stupid ass door that had nothing in it but I still spent 10 minutes trying to unlock. FF4 I may return to soon so be on the lookout for that.

I may also be resurrecting Terraria since I hear it got updated again and I kinda wanna give it another chance since I'm finally getting tired of Minecraft.

Now for some non gaming updates:

As far as Manga goes, I've read quite a few series since I last posted about it (which I think was for The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer). Since then I've read Black Cat, Battle Angel Alita, Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Uzumaki, I am a Hero, Detroit Metal City, Beck, started reading Mushishi and One Piece, and am currently in the process of rereading Dorohedoro.

Black Cat is a somewhat generic shonen, nothing amazing but it's interesting enough to keep me turning the pages till the end. I'd give it a 5.5 our of 10 since for me it wasn't much better than average.

Battle Angel Alita is a great seinen series, definitely among the best I've read. The original manga scores an 8.5 out of 10 for me since it kinda ended abruptly without fully exploring all of the possibilities of the universe the author created. The good news is that the author revisited the series in Last Order, which is still ongoing, deciding to restart before Alita is rebuilt and exploring the extraterrestrial aspects of the universe. While the story can get convoluted at times it is still fairly easy to follow and the action scenes are far more explosive graphic, and flashy than they were in the original. I give it a 9.5 out of 10, and it's a definite must for people who enjoy science fiction and martial arts since this manga combines both worlds into one with kung fu androids.

Uzumaki is a horror manga by the proclaimed master of horror, Junji Ito. It's not nearly as scary as it is weird. It's kind of interesting but the ending falls flat. I'll give it a 5 out of 10, and that's probably being generous.

I am a Hero is another horror manga that deals with a manga artist who is paranoid and possibly schizophrenic suddenly having to deal with the realities of a zombie apocalypse. This manga deals more with the psychological stresses of this apocalypse rather than going for the gore and mutilation approach, and it's really quite an interesting read. I'll give it a 7.5 out of 10.


Detroit Metal City is an odd little gag manga about the misfortunes of a wannabe pop idol ending up in a death metal band. The story isn't that great and some of the gags are more disgusting than they are funny. More or less it seems to poke fun at the metal culture. I'll give it a 6.5 out of 10 since there are some moments that made me chuckle a bit and the manager is totally kick ass but asides from that it's rather below average.

Finally one of the most uplifting things I've read in a while, Beck. This is a must read for anyone who's feeling stressed or depressed around the holidays. Beck is about the struggles of a no name Japanese indy rock band trying to make a name for itself both in Japan and on the world stage. Despite the talent and effort the bad has, they have made enemies of one of the biggest names in the Japanese music and have difficulties getting albums made or released. Despite these troubles the Band continues to try and eventually does get it's big breakthrough thanks to the help of one of the biggest bands on the planet, Dying Breed. This also gets a 9.5 out of 10 because there are a few moments early on and in the middle chunk where the series begins to drag a bit, but it's still a great motivational read that will keep you flipping through the pages at a lightning pace.

Once I've finished Mushishi and read through Dorohedoro again I'll post reviews of both series. My opinions may be slightly skewed because I honestly haven't read anything dreadfully terrible yet, and really the worst series I've read I'd still give probably a 4 or so out of 10. Usually I don't get more than a few chapters into the bad ones though and I don't review series I haven't finished reading.

As for anime stuff, haven't watched anything new since Blood C, hell I haven't watched the weekly One Piece episodes for over a month. Should probably catch up to that before I get too far behind. But yea the general opinion from what I've recently heard is that the market for new anime is stagnant since it's all been mostly those generic school ones and typical shonen stuff. I'm disappointed as well with both Fairy Tail and Toriko, though my main problem with Toriko is that the 20-30 minute long OVA that was released nearly a year before the anime was better than the actual anime both in art style and in adhering to the original manga's plot. I stopped watching the anime after a few episodes and from what I hear they're already resorting to filler less than 30 episodes in. it's too bad really cause if the anime studio had actually taken the time to do it right I feel Toriko could have possibly been put up there with the likes of One Piece and Dragon Ball (especially since a lot of the monsters in Toriko often resemble the creatures you would see in the earlier years of Dragon Ball before the Freeza saga and all that stuff).

My problem with Fairy Tail is that a lot of the cg sometimes feels completely out of place, and honestly I think they just made the voice actors way too childish. I understand that it's a manga catered towards kids but still, Ichigo sounds mature, Ed and Al from FMA sounded rather mature, and even Luffy from One Piece sounds more mature than the main characters of Fairy Tail.  Natsu's voice kind of annoys me so for that reason I just can't watch Fairy Tail. Made it to episode 24 or so too before completely giving up.

No comments:

Post a Comment