Friday, June 29, 2012

Skyrim is on break for a few days, more Minecraft to come

Yea I've decided to take a break from uploading Skyrim since I've gotten some requests to put up more Minecraft stuff. So yea I decided to upload the 8 parts of Minecraft I've got recorded for the next week or so. I only have 2 parts of Terraria left as well so Skyrim will resume on Monday, after the final episode of Terraria goes up on Sunday. Sunday is also Canada day, which I'll probably not be doing anything special for so don't expect anything massive. The channel also hit 1 year on June 10th but I didn't have the opportunity to do anything since I was in a hotel in Toronto on that day and had no time to record anything the day before so yea that entire thing kind of went by quietly. 18 subs is a start I guess and considering how crappy some of my videos are I'm not entirely surprised that I only managed to get 18 subs in a year but I will more than likely be making changes in video and sound quality in the future. Not entirely sure when or how I'll make changes but I will definitely start spending more money on the equipment that I use to record.

So yea I will likely start rendering in HD for starters even though it takes twice as long to do, and I'll try to record in HD but my laptop often can't record at 50FPS because it just doesn't have the RAM. Stuff like Killing Floor and Skyrim likely won't have the greatest quality but for stuff like retro games and Terraria and even Minecraft it should be no problem to record in HD. I'm still playing around with the idea of recording console games but once again it's a matter of video quality and whether or not my laptop can handle it well enough that there is no lag while I'm recording. For now it seems there's some audio peaking issues with the game with the program I'm using to record it since I can't record it with Fraps. Actually speaking of Fraps I recently updated mine to version 3.5 so I'll have to test record with it before I attempt anything since I know that every now and then it seems to decide to just not want to record ZSNES and then I have to uninstall and reinstall stuff to get it to work and it sucks so yea hopefully that doesn't happen.

As far as audio quality goes the main issue I'm concerned with is my microphone being a cheap piece of shit that refuses to properly pick up my voice without being placed in some ridiculous position. So yea I'm definitely considering replacing my mic with a better quality mic that I can afford. Right now the 2 mics I have are the built in one that I started with (the one that picks up every sound my keyboard makes as well as all my mouse clicks), or the $6.95 mic I picked up on sale just before Christmas (the one I use now that's super quiet unless it detects the slightest breeze, in which case it decides to let that completely overpower my voice and make annoying ass peaking sounds that I need to reduce or remove during editing). So yea considering both choices I have for mics aren't that great I'd say it's time to get a better one. I'll probably do some research into it but I'm probably not gonna buy those $80-90 mics that the creatures use cause I don't really have a job and I'm a student so I can't spend like 2-3 weeks worth of groceries on a microphone. I am willing to go as high as about $50 though since I did get a decent bit of birthday money that I have yet to spend.

In any case, I'd expect better quality after I finally start recording again because I want to take my channel to the next level, which is a level that's high enough to possibly be considered for something like Machinima. I'm nowhere near the subs and quality of videos to be up for that yet but I will definitely strive to put out stuff of at least that quality from now on. I've been juggling with the idea of doing intros for videos for a while but I've never really had the time to sit down and find some video and audio files to make 10-15 second intros for my videos. I've already got a few ideas for a Killing Floor intro but I'd have to dig through the 80+ videos I have recorded for footage. Then again I don't have much better to do while I'm unable to record so you may soon start seeing intros to some of my videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment