Monday, September 10, 2012

Blog re-arrangement and RuneScape

I did a bit of re-arranging on my blog, so now the Killing Floor stats can be found at the bottom of the page, next to a new addition which is my RuneScape stats. I was playing with the idea of adding it for the last few weeks and I decided that it would be best to add it on the bottom of the page somewhere since there's quite a few stats in total. Since I have gotten no support at all on the RuneScape stuff I will limit it only to my blog from now on, and the occasional update video where I usually just play some random game in the background anyways (or do a face cam/ ipod touch cam). Either way it's there now. It's not as in depth as the actual RuneScape High Scores but it at least shows my current level (which the Hiscores apparently no longer show F2p players due to excessive botting in free servers so you won't find me on the hiscores anymore). 6 years ago I was in the top 8000 for mining, with a mining level of 86. That's pretty much the highest I've ever gotten on there since I quit for a year at that time and then I'd fallen to around 12000, and then to around 27000 as of 2 years ago. I have no idea now how far it's fallen since then but honestly it doesn't really matter since I never really took the game too seriously when it came to high scores (and with bots undermining them it's no surprise they decided to make high scores for members only).

Over the next few days I may post a few of the things I've picked up as a free player in RuneScape to help maximize your xp gain in various skills for relatively low costs. Some skills (such as smithing) obviously are gonna cost money unless you want to spend hundreds of hours mining so expenses are unavoidable in some areas but it's all about finding ways to use your skills to make money to support the cost of the skills that require money to efficiently level up.

The best thing I can say for someone who doesn't plan on going for a membership or can't afford one or who's parents won't let them buy one is that you shouldn't focus on the time it'll take to level up, but rather focus on dedicating an hour or two a day to just playing the game and getting as much experience in one or two stats as possible for those two hours. Obviously if you bother to calculate your rough xp rate per hour and then use that to determine how many hours you need to hit level 99 in anything you'll just get completely overwhelmed by the amount of time you'll need to spend in the game. An effective strategy is to take things 10 levels at a time (once you hit the 80's you may want to take it 5 levels at a time). Basically lets say you have a lot of stats in the 60's, work on getting as many as possible to 70, then work on getting those to 80, then 85, then 90, and so on. Obviously Dungeoneering and Prayer are going to take a while so some skills will fall behind a bit and you'll go insane trying to level them up 10 levels at a time but every now and then just work on them for an hour or so at a time and they'll eventually get higher and higher. I'd love to get 70 dungeoneering and 70 prayer but I know it will take hours and I don't have hours to give between recording stuff for youtube and University work. I can honestly say that right now if I wanted to get everything to 99 it would take well over 2000 hours of work at this point (and I've played off and on for 8 years just to get here). However I did probably do a solid 1000 hours of work towards that goal so far (if RS kept track of how many hours I've played I'd probably be well over 1000 hours by now but I'm not always training skills). Also remember to take breaks, because what I've ended up doing is going at it hardcore for a month or two and then just burning myself out and quitting for months/years at a time. It's better to do stuff in moderation rather than forcing yourself to do something for 3-4 hours at a time and driving yourself insane. I'm usually guilty of not following this advice but honestly you will just burn yourself out (like I did when I spent 3 hours a day for over a month mining from level 72 to 86 in the mining guild, but this was 6 years ago before the bot epidemic). So yea don't burn yourself out and don't look at the 200-400 hours it will take to get each stat to 99 (closer to 3200 hours for prayer if you don't buy big bones, yea it's a lot). Just take it a couple hours at a time and it will eventually happen at some point.

But honestly I could go on about RuneScape for hours because I've played it for so long and actually did the math on hourly xp rates for most skills using various methods (which I'm still doing the math on since I'm updating my old information for today's bot infested worlds because the mining info is completely outdated as well as Runecrafting, Firemaking, and Smithing due to new game additions). As far as hourly gold rates go I really haven't done much in that field yet but mining and smithing tend to be the most profitable of the F2p skills so if you want or need money that's where you start assuming you have the mining/smithing level for it. See, I'm already going off about other skills so I'm cutting myself short here. I'll be sure to post more on this later since I've honestly got a lot of knowledge about this and know of a few tricks that can be used for leveling some skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment