Saturday, March 30, 2013

Update on my external hard drive

It's been a couple of days since I was on my laptop, mostly because I'm kind of hoping that not touching it somehow solves my problems. Obviously that's not gonna work but still, might as well try it. So yea, it's still unresponsive but I can still read the files on my hard drive, I just can't seem to open or move them... I'm not sure if this is just a problem with the USB cable or if its a problem with the hard drive itself. I'd like to think its just the cable, but I have no idea to be honest. I've tried to move the files to another hard drive using the traditional copy/paste method, with no success. I'm currently attempting something a bit more risky, in which I move the files one at a time to the recycling bin and try to copy them from there, but it seems that's not working either. I also tried to scan my hard drive for bad sectors, but that scan freezes after about 5-10 minutes. This is mostly because for some reason my hard drive works completely fine for about 5-10 minutes and then decides to stop working properly. I noticed my hard drive seems to be a bit warmer than usual as well so maybe it's just overheating, but it's still cold right now and it's still not working. I think I'm gonna try to run a disk defragmentation next on both my hard drive and on my PC just to see if that helps, but I'm not sure if my hard drive freezing there would just fuck over all 5 hours of video footage that hasn't been uploaded yet that's on there.

I suppose I could always bring it in to a tech store and ask them to take a look at it to see if they can extract the data but that'll cost a fair bit of money, and I'm kinda trying to save as much as possible for after University so I'd rather not. All I know for sure is that the data on it is still in fact on it, it just refuses to be moved or opened for some reason. I'm sure there's some way to force that data to move somewhere else so until I find out how to do that there will be no uploads for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment