Sunday, November 11, 2018

Let's Talk about RuneScape

You know, that early 2000's online MMO that was basically if someone tried to make an MMO in a point and click engine? The thing that had an exponential level curve that would take hundreds of thousands of hours of playtime to hit the level cap, let alone the xp cap. I mean the game has changed over the years but not that much. Many who see me on discord probably notice I always seem to have RuneScape open, and that's because I've been playing it daily for the better part of 4 years. So why? Well honestly it's the kind of game you can very easily play absentmindedly while watching videos.

Those unfamiliar with my RuneScape history wouldn't know that I've never bothered with their membership system (which is basically their paywall to story/quest/boss content). I mean why bother paying when I can just continue to use the ridiculous xp cap as something to work towards for free while watching videos. It's not even that good or interesting a game experience, but because the devs made membership so easy to acquire the game has managed to survive on the backs of the gold farmers alone.

So why do I bother mentioning this dying game at all? I don't really know. I mean the whole appeal of playing the game to me is basically as a grinding simulator which is very much not intended to be its main draw. I mean there's a lot of shit I've learned how to do in RuneScape that's completely useless knowledge to anyone else. I really just like to find ways to gain experience efficiently without having to run 5 accounts simultaneously to farm gold to fund my experience. There's so much dumb stupid shit so many players wouldn't even bother trying that I actively do, and there's even more dumb stupid shit I don't bother doing that others do. I dunno it's kinda fun to find ways to optimize xp rates for a game that gives you nothing to do in free to play servers other than optimizing xp rates.

Maybe a few people will check it out now that I've mentioned it, but with 0 people reading this blog that's unlikely to happen. Just for fun I created a skiller a year ago just to see how long it'd take to get to lvl 50 across the board and the answer was under 40 hours of work. I know that sounds like a lot of work but in RuneScape that's basically nothing. Hell it might have been closer to 30 hours I wasn't really keeping track. Point is if you know how to skill efficiently you can shave hours off playtime very quickly. I'd write a guide of sorts but so much of it is common knowledge among the player base and even then even if I literally recorded myself doing it someone'd point out more efficient ways to get there inevitably. But here's what I did more or less:

chop wood and sell the logs at the grand exchange for some starting funds, which I really only used to get higher tier hatchets. bronze pickaxe on rune ess at aubury's while dropping the ess to lvl 10 mining because due to a dumb bug that's existed since the dawn of time a bronze pick is faster on essence than anything else. This bug also applies to shooting stars, which I then abused the shit out of to get to 50 fast. star reward is roughly 100k in coins which can be used to get your rune hatchet and buy whatever supplies you need to do the knight's sword quest which gives a lamp that lets you skip from lvl 1 to lvl 29 smithing instantly, at which point you can grind to 33 fairly quickly at artisan's workshop before worrying about going further. Clay crafting is great for early crafting, and once you get 6+ in crafting you can look into buying gold bars to make jewelry for profit. Once you can do gems it really speeds up the profits and xp from that and it takes maybe 2-3 hours to get to 50 once you're on jewelry assuming you leech portable forges. Back to woodcutting, I mean getting to 15 is the more annoying part but honestly doing any evil trees really speeds that up, preferably the highest one you can do at your level. might have spent about 3 hours total doing that as well, mining was maybe 2 hours total because stars are that overpowered if you find one. Fishing and cooking take the longest honestly cause there's no real way to speed it up other than knowing not to do shrimps ever. Crayfish just gather twice as fast for the same xp for some reason it's weird. just cook as you catch and eventually when you get to 20 just grab your 2k feathers from fishing shops and fly fish to 50 fish/cook but it'll take 4ish hours. Smithing goes fast if you do iron plates from 33+ assuming you buy materials and same with fletching if you buy stuff to do arrows. The gold you get from doing evil trees and shooting stars really helps fund that because lvl 50 isn't actually that much xp. I mean I was doing stars and trees on my main and having my sk go to the ones it could do whenever it could to minimize time wasted searching. And then Runecrafting is just top floor of wizard's tower to grind in Runespan for over 3 hours. There's nothing really hard about doing it. Hell it might be less than 24 hours to 50 everything now that I think about it. Dungeoneering is a skill you'd need to rely on others to level though, no way around it as a skiller unless you trained combat stats. I mean if you omit it then you could probably turn all 50's into a speedrun category because there's so many things you can do to optimize skilling. It'd be a co-op run though if you relied on alts or anyone else so I guess you'd need to do it as an ironman for it to be a real speedrun category but then that wouldn't be viable because actually buying nothing makes all the artisan skills stupid slow.

Ok I need to stop with the stupid RuneScape knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment